View Poll Results: Have you played a scenario game?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes as many as I can

94 35.07%
  • I would if they were in my area

149 55.60%
  • not really interested

25 9.33%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scenario Players???? Poll

I probably shouldn't hijack Tom's thread to talk about how I have seen paintball change, but I'm going to anyway.

I too have played since the "beginning" (I think it was 1986). I played in many tournaments back then as a member of Constant Pursuit (maybe you old guys know who we were). I've never played in any scenario or big games but have always wanted to. I have seen a lot of changes, some for the better, some for the worse.

The Better

Paint has gotten much cheaper. So has the equipment, from goggles to markers. You can buy quality equipment for maybe half what it use to cost. And in most cases it's better too. This directly related to the increase in sales. Making paintball more mainstream. More sales generally equals lower costs. More people showing up at the field also makes for a target rich environment, and that's good too.

The Worse

Not everything is better, however. Tournaments are in my opinion the single biggest disappointment. I thought we (old school tourny players) we whinny cry babies. We couldn't hold a candle to the new crop of players. Not all of them, but too many of them. And the language. Why do the prompters put up with that? Cheating taken to new levels. It's bad. The tournament scene is a mess as far as I am concerned. I'm glad I am not involved anymore. It's not just tournaments either. I remember when overshooting was a "crime" (sorry, couldn't help it). Prior to a year ago I had NEVER been overshoot or "Bonus Balled". NEVER, including tournaments. In the last year I've lost count of the overshooting and bonus balls. I guess that paintball is now attracting those with really bad attitudes.

While I really enjoyed the old days, I think for the most part things have gotten better. I don't play in tournaments and don't have to deal with any of that. Overshooting can be (as is) dealt with by the field owners. I just think we are seeing some serious "growing pains". There you have it, my hijacking of Toms' thread is over.
    Last edited by hitech; 12-17-2002 at 04:18 PM.

Hey Hitech your starting to sound like me! - AGD
    Hitech is the man.... - Blennidae
    The only Hitech Lubricant

Tom vs Budd was the first scenario ive ever been too and it was great.I will play another again.What i didnt like was paying 75.00 bucks a case for cheap paint.if your gonna charge that much at least give us some marbs or diablo,not 32 degrees.the action was great but i had to keep checking for broken paint cause my shots were everywhere.but to my suprise there was no broken paint just crappy paint.I dont mind paying high prices i just like getting what i paid for.

Originally posted by hitech

Paint has gotten much cheaper. So has the equipment, from goggles to markers. You can buy quality equipment for maybe half what it use to cost. And in most cases it's better too. This directly related to the increase in sales. Making paintball more mainstream. More sales generally equals lower costs. More people showing up at the field also makes for a target rich environment, and that's good too.

I disagree on the equipment costs. Everything has gone up. Now that is in proportion to what your getting (say a JT mask vs. Uvex goggles or Emag vs. Line SI Bushmaster) but I'd bet if you ratioed it out, the prices today would the same or higher! As far as internals and upgrades, again your getting better finishes (nickel, anno), materials and design - but ratio the standard black annoed stuff machined in some crap shop from 10 years ago and I bet it almost comes out even. The paint prices have come down LOTS, but I think that is partly due to the fact that they were over inflated back in the old days to turn a profit. When the volume of players (read walk-on fees) was less the field made up for it with paint sales. Now it is the opposite threre are many players (paying fees) so paint doesn't need to be so high. I'd guess paint hasn't dropped as much as we think - although in terms of what we PAY has.

The Worse

I remember when overshooting was a "crime" (sorry, couldn't help it). Prior to a year ago I had NEVER been overshoot or "Bonus Balled". NEVER, including tournaments. In the last year I've lost count of the overshooting and bonus balls. I guess that paintball is now attracting those with really bad attitudes.
    I agree on this and overshooting still shocks me when it occurs - which is all to often these days. (Never remeber it before '98 or so) I almost always confront the offender and often they think they've done nothing wrong. It is also disturbing how often you get "bonus balled" walking off the field these days. I've literally seen kids (some little, others old enough to know better) take a shot at an obvious "dead guy" just to get a chance to shoot "something."

It's a bummer that these things exist - and although they've happened since the beginning - they were never as tolerated like they are today.

Personally, I think a lot of it has to do with the average age of the player - when we started it was most adults and a few high school age kids, now it's mostly the kids and the age is dropping into the low teens. With the fast shooting markers, the video game mentality (that everything is a "fair" target") and the "extreme" image being pushed - no wonder things are getting worse.

-Calvin
    From a poster at PB Nation:

""Jim, back to your cave. Bob Long is on the batphone..."

MY FEEDBACK

I play as many scenarios as I can. It works out to about 10-12 per year. For all of you that have not played in a true Scenario (not Big Games) you need to try at least one. I think Tom can tell you once you understand the basics of the game it is a blast. The game is much more family and friend oriented. I have fixed opposing players markers during my down time. We have also invited the other teams players to join us and share are food during breakfast and dinner breaks. I think that scenario is the real future of this sport, because it involves the whole family in the sport.
    We (wife and 2 kids) normally show up to a field on fri. and set up camp. Then the fun begins, a lot of players and teams bring thier families to these events. The kids get to run around and meet new friends. The adults sit around campfires or heaters if we can't have fires
    and talk about what has happened since the last game or what new toys we have picked up.
    So if you haven't tried one yet please do, and yes the prices are higher than normal but look at it this way. You get to play Paintball for 18-20 hours of playing time in one weekend. With walk-on rec. ball you are lucky if you get 5-7 hours of playing time.

Shawn
    Tactical Paintball Gear
    Team Evil Inc.
    The world of paintball will never be the same.
    Team Evil Inc.

I usually don't post much on this forum, but when I saw this topic I just had to.
    The first time I saw a senario game I knew I had to play in one. Last year I attended the Michigan Monster game (its more of a big game really) but it was so much fun. I played with a group of guys known as OMHW (old men and heavy weights) they are a great group of guys.
    M A S T E R J A B B A

Full Auto

I have to go with the insurance companies *Shudder!* (It REALLY hurts to say that) on this one. Full auto is not only not necessary, it is a very dangerous accident waiting to happen. When you figure that the average player doesn't change lenses for any other reason than looks and that EVERY lens manufacturer recommends replacement of a lens after a shot inside of ten feet, imagine bunkering someone with full auto and tagging them four or five times in the lens at 13bps. Not out of the realm of possibility, and unfortunately, not all players can be relied on for discretion.
    I do agree completely about tourney players needing a good dose of sports(wo)manship. And camo is useless at most fields, but looks cool anyway, don't ever give it up. I wear all black BDUs, but love the way they fit.

Originally posted by cledford
    Personally, I think a lot of it has to do with the average age of the player - when we started it was most adults and a few high school age kids, now it's mostly the kids and the age is dropping into the low teens. With the fast shooting markers, the video game mentality (that everything is a "fair" target") and the "extreme" image being pushed - no wonder things are getting worse.
    I have to agree. As far as I know, it has ALWAYS been someone under 25 that was guilty of overshooting/bonus balling. I'm pretty sure since I also "confront" them. Sometimes not in the manner I should.

As for prices, I paid I think it was $450 for my phantom pump. You can still buy that same gun today for $198.

Re: Full Auto

Originally posted by soaklord
    I have to go with the insurance companies *Shudder!* (It REALLY hurts to say that) on this one. Full auto is not only not necessary, it is a very dangerous accident waiting to happen.
    Paintball guns themselves are accidents waiting to happen. I'm not advocating that they (modes) be allowed in games - but I do feel that people should be allowed to have the modes if they chose - not have them deleted just because the insurance industry decides they *may* be dangerous. Where are the stats on how many people have lost eyes to guns with modes? It is my understanding (from personal conversations with Tom) that the mode issue is about someone *possibly* losing *multiple* eyes in the same accident. (Has this ever even happened?) In any event - when did we start banning things just because they're dangerous? Sports cars (and bikes) are much faster then legal limits allow (and additional performance can be bought - like nitro), alcohol is still available even though you can get near-beer, near-wine, and "virgin-drinks" - but you don't see the insurance industry trying to ban Mustangs, Ninjas, or Budweiser, do you? How necessary is it to own a car that can easily do 120+mph and due to it's styling and marketing induces it's owners to "push the limits?" Should we ban these for insurance purposes also?

A lot of people ask me why I'm so adamant about the "modes" issue. It is for 2 reasons. One, I like to test my guns for performance using a computer chrono. The only way to do valid tests is to do consistent tests. A computer pulling the trigger is a lot more accurate then a person - especially over 9bps.

Second, I KNOW that as soon as you give power to an outsider or outside group (especially one with no vested concern in your area) regardless of how much they promise not to abuse it, the chances are that they will. Who's to say that in a year (now that that the industry has caved on the "modes" issue) that they don't come back and decide that 230fps is much safer and try to impose that as well? What about the year after that, they decide that anything over 4bps is unsafe - what then?

-Calvin

Calvin,

I stand (actually sit, it's too hard to type standing) corrected. You do make a very valid point about industry outsiders dictating the industry and I agree with you wholeheartedly. And you are absolutely right about the testing of the marker being far more consistent, in fact even Automag uses a full auto mode to demonstrate the 18bps they achieved with their marker. In all honesty, I have full auto on my E-99, but the only time I ever fired it was at the chrono station to see how it looked. After that, I didn't even bother with the burst modes, which one of my local fields allows in their advanced games. With the adjustability of the trigger, I can outshoot my ricochet with semi-auto on my E-99!!
    The thought of even 10bps which is realistic for a low end marker and a Ricochet w/o too many breaks, is highly cost prohibitive for me. At $60 a case for decent paint (Diablo) I am looking at $15 a bag. 15/500=.03 at 10bps = $0.30 every second. 10 seconds of shooting is now costing $3.00 for a minute of shooting time in a half hour game, too much for me, I'll happily try to keep my shot volume down. Still, I understand the want for the option.

I started playing paintball here in California in 1982, bolt action Nelspot 007 and half broken shop goggles. Over the last 20 years I've played about every variation of paintball out there all over the states and europe.

The last few years I have turned more to big games and scenarios then tourny play, mainly because the U.S. promoters do such a piss poor job of running the big name tournies that its just shameful.

Tournies: Definitely a major disappointment over the past two years, especially the last world cup game.

Big Games: Lots of targets, a very fun time.

Scenarios: Lots of targets, missions, goals, lots of different things to do all day long.

I find myself wanting to play in big scenarios more and more often simply because they're alot more fun, next to no stress, and the people that hang out there very rarely have personal identity problems nor see a need to strut around like peacocks on parade. I'm through playing tournies as of the last world cup, I've given up on any possibility of Jerry Braun pulling his head out of his tailend. From here on out I'm doing only scenarios and big games.

-Evil Bob

this takes me back some, my first tourny was called "8 Ball" because you were only given 8 paintballs per game. that was a fun tourny because it took the skill out of the gun and gave it to the gun user. imagine someone with a sl68-2 competing with a mag. no bonus balling there i can promise you that. reminds me of the first time i played when you could shell out an extra 30 bucks and rent the 68 special that sounded like a howitzer going off each trigger pull. what a fun gun that was. as far as cammies go, i started playing in the woods and enjoy that the best so i will prolly never rid myself of cammies. speedball is for people with more money than they know what to do with imho.

as far as senario games go, i have never played one. i have been in some big games and one 24 hour game but not a dedicated scnario game. i am going to try to make one or two this year. with d-day in oklahoma i should be able to do that and it sounds like a blast.

Thanks for the Thread and supporting scenarios, as a few people may know I am only a rec and scenario player. I have only been playing just over a year, but have been in 7 scenarios. I am already signed up and paid for two scenarios next year and will be also playing in at least 2 other events I know of, one on each coast(can you guess what one of them is?).

In fact it is kind of a better game for those of us that are really busy. You can schedule it, there are lots of people, and lots of things going on. Further, I know of guys that buy really good guns, freak kits, etc for scenario's just because of that (when you don't have much time, may be be paying for flights, etc, the last thing you want to worry about on the field is your gun).

The people are actually some of the best I have met. Further, the culture is to have fun. And more stuff happens than in a tourney; you ever have to worry about some guy with night vision, a tank, mines, or being bunkering from creekside when the water is 4 feet deep? (Got Water?) Even if you just want to watch, the other people make it fun. Also, how many tourneys are charity events? check out... https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...665#post560665

Darkstorm - Texas Rangers Scenario PBT

BTW - Funny thing is I fit in to that catagory of guys who don't want to worry about the gun. Because of that, the fact that Tom was a really nice guy when I met him, and because of my bad paint experience at Spplat...I should have an automag with a lx by the end of the year. Not sure what, yet. (Hmmmmmm....or was that a Tom K plot the whole time to sell LX's? ).

Darkstorm
    "You can't count on the paint, but you can count on the Level 10."
    Home field = PaintballUSA, houston, Tx.

Perhaps this is just market analysis, but I must wonder, what is Mr. Kaye really up to? I can hear the evil laughter now.

I should say, though, that while I do like the fast pace of tourny-style play, scenario/big games are interesting. Unfortunately, there aren't many that take place whithin my window of possibility (or my area). Had I the chance, I would really like to give them a try.
    "My Jell-O is dying in the audience..."
    Merrill Howard Kalin

I just spent the weekend with Tom and Bud at WarLords in Southern California playing some of the funnest and most intense Scenario paintball I have seen in my last 10 games this year (excluding Shatner Ball of course)... I have driven from So. Cal to games in Chicago, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and Nevada to play scenario games and finally I had one 15 miles from my house... I had a chance to watch Tom play "Whack-a-Mole" as the WorrLords tried to get thru the trenches and to his CP. Well a squad of 5 guys and myself under his cover fire cleared the trenches and pipes and the entire city in under 5 minutes, but then we were engaged by the Sin City Raiders who were attempting to come around over the hill at us.... scenario play makes you remember that paintball is a 3-D sport and no real battlefield is ever perfectly symmetrical like the tournament fields are.... Scenario Paintball Players are going to be the future of the sport, With Promoters like MX Sports and SPPLAT paving the way for bigger games more media exposure and more chances for the people who keep asking for an "in my area game." We can only have these with players like you talking to the field owners and telling them that if they hosted a game you would attend. Promoters will not schedule and event if there is no draw for them. This thread has shown me that there is alot more people like us who want to play scenarios if there were more of them.

I wanted to personally thank Tom Kaye for flying out to CA to play with us and take the time to understand this not so visible side of the sport. He was a great General, Awesome Battle-Tank driver/Commander, and great guy to reminisce with about the way back when days when this sport first started. To the other players who were on our team thanks for all the help in showing the best playing I have seen in a while and bringing the MagMasters to a 200+ point victory.

Yes we are out here and we will eventually be as if not more visible than Tournament since we already have a PPV on from Shatner's SPPLAT Attack. Also to anyone who can swing it I am inviting you to attend D-Day this year in Oklahoma. We had 1700+ player this year and expect to break 2000 this year. You will see Paintball Assault Vehicles (Tanks) in action, and if you can join the 82nd Airborne Easy Company to get some real action (can you say A Target Rich environment), The rumor is that Dewayne has a real Sherman Tank he bought for this year. Hope to see many of you there.

Jason "Candyman" Imbach
    Tactical Paintball Gear
    Evil Inc.
    Jason "Candyman" Imbach
    Tactical Paintball Gear
    Evil Inc.

that 8-ball tournament sounds really fun. i think they should plan interesting tournaments like that, where shooting 20bps isn't going to help you =)

I would like to play in a scenario game soon, I haven't had the oppourtuntiy yet. ...but I also haven't played in a real tourney yet...I know that 2 or 3years ago when I was playing woods or (little kid scenario games) then I loved it...but I also know that when I'm playing speedball or airball...I love it! So, I think a scenerio game would awesome, and I will try to make it to the first one I can...but I also know that the first tourney I can scoot my lil rear on the field for...I'll be there. Then I may have more valuble input here! lol
    I'm a Moose-lover!
    I'm a Wang Member!
    I will paint you with my Mag!

screncio games

screncio games have the potential to be the major force in paintball when you have tourment players with foul language fighting , wipping and cheating as your representives you will never attract main stream america --- attitude is good bad attitute is not -- the 24 format with the camping that goes on and the varuois stlyes of play give you the perfect family activity for a weekend even if a parent doesnt decide to play there ia a chance to spend qualitty time with your sons and daughters doing something that will create lasting memeorys for them and you i have 3 sons aged 23 22 19 that have played with me for the last 10 years today they are playing the game for real with the us army and the navy --- i still play paintball i cherish the games we all played together from those days when they where younger and look forward to the games they can join with me today to play as adults i am dave from the coalition based in sw fla - met tom at shatnerball as myself and one of my sons played for the borg
    dave from the coalition

Re: screncio games

Big Game and Scenarios are fantastic for the friendly atmosphere and bringing people together. I think this is also possible with tournaments, but it's no where near so family orientated.

Originally posted by david ciarcia
    screncio games have the potential to be the major force in paintball when you have tourment players with foul language fighting , wipping and cheating as your representives you will never attract main stream
    I've never seen more wiping and cheating at any tournament than I have during Big Games and Scenarios.

I've played all over the World and in my opinion there is far more cheating in Big Games and Scenarios than anything else. It's just more hidden.

Often the attitude of the players is nicer than at a Tournament, but not always. Yes the language you will hear at a tournament is worse but things are much more open and visible at a modern tournament.

manike

Originally posted by logamus
    this takes me back some, my first tourny was called "8 Ball" because you were only given 8 paintballs per game. that was a fun tourny because it took the skill out of the gun and gave it to the gun user.

Hey me too! You were given one stock class tube with 10 rounds and a 12 gram pump. There was a single bunker in the middle of the field. That was so much fun.

Ahhh anyway. I've yet to do a scenario game, but shatnerball looked to be a great deal of fun and I'm planning on attending the next!

I'd like to play a few scenario games here and there. I think the idea of getting together with that many people and playing paintball just seems really cool along with the different story lines. And like it has been said before for just the fun of it and not about winning. I just wish some these big games like shattnerball were held in the Northwest so that it would be easier to attend them rather than having to drive across the country.
    Good Traders:JoeyJoe367, Blazestorm213, RetardedRiceBowl, rsadich,PaInTbALL zAcH, jwyke. John Dresser, Xas, Darrikws,whydoineedausername

Splat Attack Revenge V2 LE FS

Conquest FS

At the pub, enjoying an ice-cold Guinness
    I would really like to attend a scenario one of these days. There seems to be like 1-2 every other month or so like an hour away from me, but I just can't find the time.

Another big turnoff for me for the scenarios is the price. I was looking into goin to one in January, but whne I saw the price I was stunned. $50 for pre registration, $60 for regular, then $80 for a case of paint! I would probably go through a case and a half (atleast) in 26 hours, so thats already $170...I really can't afford that. Then I've got to pay for air and food, and who knows how much thats gonna be...I can go out to the woods with my friends and pay for half a case at $20, and have a great time. A scenario sounds like it would be insanely fun, but the cost is holding me back....
    "Want more range? Get closer.
    Want more accuracy? Aim for once.
    Want more skill? Good luck."
    - Doc Nickel

i can overlook bad language at a tourney. for one, i make a salior blush just in normal converstation so under the kind of pressure you are under in a game that means sponsorship next year, you can count on multiple f bombs being delivered. the price of a scenario game is high, but who is not going to use 2 cases of paint in a tournament these days?

as far as d-day 2003 i am already making plans.

Scenario games are fun. The scenario team I play on (Northern Enforcers), received MVT Russian side at the Wayne Dollack game at Wassaga Beach in August. I try to play whenever I can.
    Flying the unfriendly skies.

Planet Earth. More than that is debatable.
    Originally posted by manike
    I play Scenerio's as if they are Big Games Target's please!
    I'm always game for a "Target Rich Environment".

Scenarios, for the most part, have turned me off. After a Dollack incident, I don't like games that claim to re-create a war scenario. That's a personal thing tho, and I have some reasons for that.

But a big game, I'm in for that. Gimme the Sam's game, 700 or so people, one monster game. Pump, semi, whatever, I love the numbers.

-Tyger

"Oh, you're wearing a tail and ears, you're a freak."
    "No social change has ever come about without freaks. Einstein was a freak. Ben Franklin was a freak. Martin Luther King was a freak. ...be proud to be included in those ranks."
    -2, The Ranting Gryphon

Yeah I've been to a few. At Splatt Camp in Whitewater WI and Paintball Sam's in Racine WI. Speaking of Paintball Sam's, are you going to be there this year Tom???

Moderate with Equality & Consistency in 2005!
    AO-WI: Player's List - Now with over 100 People!!!
    Karta #082
    Member #007 of the Unoffical Trina Fan Club
    Great Traders: automagfreek, ClassicMagger, Emagster, fire1811, Kevmaster, MrMag, Nicad, oldsoldier, RogueFactor, SpongeBobSquarePantsx2 , SteveDx10+, The Frymarker, Treefall25, Tunamanx3, warpfeedmod
    In Loving Memory of Eric "Po" Ison Oct. 10, 1974 - Dec. 31, 2004

I play in as many scenarios as possible. I even hold one of my own every year called Jesse James Rides Again. They are a rush that only those who play in them understand. A lot of people think they are too expensive, but it takes at LEAST six months of planning for that one or two days of play to be available.

Originally posted by Darkling
    I would really like to attend a scenario one of these days. There seems to be like 1-2 every other month or so like an hour away from me, but I just can't find the time.

Another big turnoff for me for the scenarios is the price. I was looking into goin to one in January, but whne I saw the price I was stunned. $50 for pre registration, $60 for regular, then $80 for a case of paint! I would probably go through a case and a half (atleast) in 26 hours, so thats already $170...I really can't afford that. Then I've got to pay for air and food, and who knows how much thats gonna be...I can go out to the woods with my friends and pay for half a case at $20, and have a great time. A scenario sounds like it would be insanely fun, but the cost is holding me back....
    I agree thats an incredible amount of money. I thought my games were expencive, any one living in or close to Utah the Jesse James Rides Again scenario is only $15 for entry and $50per case for paint.

I love Playing Scenario Games, But as it has been stated I do it for the "targets" and not the Scenario. I usually Play at Wayne's World in Ocala Florida. I will be at the next game with an X-mag (if I get it by then)if anyone wants to see one.

One obseravation I have seen first hand that I hate is the amount of cheating at night in a 24hour game.
    I used to use the 1 million candlepower spot light to play at night and got into some big battles and assumed I was just inaccurate at judging distance at night because I would never hit anyone. Then I was able to use a set of Military Issue Aviation Night Vision Goggles. I wasn't as inaccurate as I thought. I don't know about every Night game but in the ones I have played in, if you are hit (even if it doesn't break) you are out. After putting on the NVG's (and these are the GOOD ones) I could see regular paintballs "glow" in the moonlight. I could also see people jump when they got hit and continue playing. Even when I told them I saw them get hit with NVG's they still don't leave until I put 10+ rounds on them. Most of them would shout back that "you couldn't possibly see that with NVG's, you hit the tree next to me" Well until you try these you'll never know how much I can see.
    It's just disheartening to see that much blatant cheating. I still love it because with the NVG's even if they cheat I still get the elimination, whether it's because I sneak up and tell them to take the hit, or put half a hopper on them to let them know I know exactly where they are, I have fun.
    PROTECTING FREEDOM SINCE 1989

Battlegroup

I go to about 3 a year they are usaly alot of fun espicaly the night games