Thread: Need help on my MagRifle

Question Need help on my MagRifle

Pics:

Ok, I will try to explain this to the best of my abilities...

I have a standard mag valve/rail/sear combo mounted into a rifle stock. It is all well and good except that I want to pull the sear back instead of push it back like a stock mag frame, in my mind this should pretty much be the same concept but when I try it out the following happens.

Oops.. before the steps, the valve works great in a stock mag trigger frame (got that out of the way now)

1. It airs up fine, no leaks, bolt is locked back with the sear
    2. I pull the camshackle attached to the sear (basically the same motion as pulling the trigger on a stock mag frame)
    3. It fires then just dumps air through the valve.

I can get it to stop dumping air by pulling back on the camshackle, which pushes the on/off up. This is pretty tentative though since as the pressure builds in the valve it gets harder to hold. When I let go it just dumps air again. I try to push on the camshackle to try to get the sear to grab the bolt but this does not seem to work either.

Any ideas?? I figured this would be a pretty easy part, but as D-day approaches I am rushing to get this part troubleshooted. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by bojangles1983; 05-28-2009 at 05:44 PM.
    Minimag, 16" Dye Titanium, Benchmark double finger, phase II, level 10, 88 4500, warp.

It sounds like your body and valve are loose or mounted off of your rail a little. How did you accommodate your rail bushing? The sear not going forward could be bolt stick from the valve, body, rail not being completely aligned.

The rail bushing is still in, I added a small washer to take up the bit of slack but it tightens down well. Everything seems pretty solid, just as if it was on a standard mag frame.

Plenty of clearance in your stock for the sear to come down on both ends and clear the sides?

Yes, I made sure of that after the first test I felt some resistance. Its about 1/2" wide in there and plenty deep to keep the sear away from any part of the body.

Is the valve sitting on only the rail? Could the stock be pushing on the valve, body and/or the barrel? Is the barrel free floated?

Is that a twist-lock or ULE body?

Make sure the front frame screw doesn't go too far in to a twist-lock body or isn't a little loose when it bottoms on a ULE. Also, on a twist-lock, check that the twist lock pin has clearance underneath and isn't pushing back up.

If it works on a regular frame, it should be an alignment or clearance problem...

[QUOTE=Spider-TW]Is the valve sitting on only the rail? No, the body is mounted up just like normal.

Could the stock be pushing on the valve, body and/or the barrel? The whole combo is sitting flush on the stock, its a complete unit that just sits in the body and then tightens down with the standard screws.

Is the barrel free floated? Yes

Is that a twist-lock or ULE body? ULE

Make sure the front frame screw doesn't go too far in to a twist-lock body or isn't a little loose when it bottoms on a ULE... Took the front frame screw out just to see, still doing it.

Working on a short video to show you

Bo , it sounds to me like your bolt is sticking WAY forward & air is escaping by your bolt stem , in stock Mags i've seen the front frame screw come up too far & hit the bolt ( think you checked this ) A detent screwed in too far will also cause this

I bet it does get tough holding air psi with that little pin

Hey, got it figured out, like you guys said, it was all in the fit. The body,rail, valve was in pretty tight, but by changing a couple little things I was able to lock it down a bit better and now she is working great! Thanks for your help, I will add some picks when she is all finished up!

Some D-day pics would be best, but we will want to see it regardless.

It looks like a good start.