Thread: Macro line exploded! Wtf?

Macro line exploded! Wtf?

Hi. In all my years this has never happened to me nor have I seen it happen. I was out testing an RT mag and I put it down on the ground to go do something else for a minute. I hear a BOOM! Then rushing air. My macro lineName:  IMG_4550.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  30.7 KB
    literally exploded as if it was under unbelievable pressure. I’m thinking maybe there was a small hole in it already maybe? As this has never happened before or have I even heard of it in over 20 years.

I posted a pic of said macro line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jambi1369 View Post
    Hi. In all my years this has never happened to me nor have I seen it happen. I was out testing an RT mag and I put it down on the ground to go do something else for a minute. I hear a BOOM! Then rushing air. My macro lineName:  IMG_4550.jpg
    literally exploded as if it was under unbelievable pressure. I’m thinking maybe there was a small hole in it already maybe? As this has never happened before or have I even heard of it in over 20 years.

It happens all the time. Most macro is not rated high enough for paintball. The fittings are even worse. Stainless braid is safer.
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

literally exploded as if it was under unbelievable pressure.
    Ever see a tire blow out? Macro line holds(depending on the psi you're running) around 20 times(if not more) the psi in a tire.

Now put it into perspective, that tank you have under your arm all day is under approximately another 5.5 times that pressure the macro line is under.

What I'm getting at is macro line is under an unbelievable amount of pressure, and that's the risk we take playing with our builds and why fields make us sign waivers. I've had markers blow macro lines a handful of times and it's not fun when it happens, specifically if you have it in your hand or worse if it blows in game when you're aiming and it's next to your head.

What was the pressure rating of the macroline? Most are 300psi to maybe 600psi. Depends on who and where you get it. Also, if you have a HPA tank pushing 1000+psi thrn the macro line is going to burst. It is a preventative measure, the weakest link for your protection.

Also, as things age, things like macroline will weaken. Would you trust a mask lense that was 20 years old? How about a HPA tank that was never taken care of?

Replace the old line with some 800psi rated stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up23 View Post
    Ever see a tire blow out? Macro line holds(depending on the psi you're running) around 20 times(if not more) the psi in a tire.

Now put it into perspective, that tank you have under your arm all day is under approximately another 5.5 times that pressure the macro line is under.

What I'm getting at is macro line is under an unbelievable amount of pressure, and that's the risk we take playing with our builds and why fields make us sign waivers. I've had markers blow macro lines a handful of times and it's not fun when it happens, specifically if you have it in your hand or worse if it blows in game when you're aiming and it's next to your head.
    Yeah I’ve just never seen it blow out like that in my whole time playing (like 25 years now). Never even heard of it. I’ve seen fittings blow or go bad but I’ve never seen the line just blow a hole like that before. Thought my tank regulator was bad

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    What was the pressure rating of the macroline? Most are 300psi to maybe 600psi. Depends on who and where you get it. Also, if you have a HPA tank pushing 1000+psi thrn the macro line is going to burst. It is a preventative measure, the weakest link for your protection.

Also, as things age, things like macroline will weaken. Would you trust a mask lense that was 20 years old? How about a HPA tank that was never taken care of?

Replace the old line with some 800psi rated stuff.
    All this time I’ve been playing I thought macro line was macro I’ve. Didn’t know it was rated different. I just thought the stuff they sold for paintball was all good. I’ll need to get done that’s high rated cuz this is on an RT mag so the output pressure is a little bit higher than I have on my other markers. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up23 View Post

The tire is a good analogy. I might get steel braid as someone else said

The tire is a good analogy. I might get steel braid as someone else said.
    Well, when a tire goes flat, most people don't give up on tires and spring for run-flats. They just get a new tire. I would treat this issue the same. You just happened to get a defective part, or somehow it got scratched or damaged in just the right way to cause a problem. The chances of it happening again are practically zero, especially now that you know about it. You'll probably be more careful with the line in the future.

Personally I would just buy something new that's rated for paintball pressure and forget about it. No need to swap out everything for SS, unless you like that look better. It's far cheaper to stick with what you already have.

https://ansgear.com/1-foot-of-macroline-black/

i have had a couple blow, it's very loud in a small building.

I've had enough blow and I get irritated with the fittings. Mostly stainless braid on mine now with 90* fittings ad QDs at the valve and straight into the on/off. I just find it less of a pain than macro. Plus it's frustrating to find reliable macro in cuts greater than 12".
    I'm sure there's plenty of stainless braid out there, but if you want one new, I use this group below. They have jacketed hose and you can get the collars shrink wrapped so it's less likely to scratch anything up if you're picky.

https://www.paragonperformance.com/paint_ball_hose.php

The only time I had any issues with marcoline was when my tank regulator failed. to me 2 tries and 2 lines blowing before I figured it out.
    Still using marcoline to this day.
    Just my $0.02.
    ......You know you want one!!

Quote Originally Posted by Loguzzzzzz View Post
    The only time I had any issues with marcoline was when my tank regulator failed. to me 2 tries and 2 lines blowing before I figured it out.
    Still using marcoline to this day.
    Just my $0.02.
    Even though the Parker Macro is what I have always used it does not have the proper rating but it is the best line in my opinion. The Parker Black is the only one I am aware of that is UV stable. Leaving your gun in the sun or hot car in the sun can do bad things to cheap macro.